Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years in Niger!

Happy New Year!

I cannot think of a better way to usher in the new year than to come to Zinder for the first time. After a bumpy 14 hour bus ride from Niamey we finally arrived here around 8pm on New Year’s Eve. We then hopped on some kabukabus (motorcycle taxis) with all of our luggage and came to our new home. I had never ridden a motorcycle before, so the kabukabu experience was one of the scariest things ever. Now that the first time is over, however, I can’t wait to get back on one. The Zinder hostel is like a co-op. It is homie, big and spacious and is currently decked out in Christmas decorations. The entire Z team was here to welcome us and we had a delicious feast of burgers, fries, salad and CHOCOLATE COOKIES!

There are now 22 of us on the Z team and we are going to have so much fun! The Z team is notorious for the videos they create and I’m excited to have a creative project to think about while I’m sitting, bored at my post. I’m in paradise- the weather is perfect mild and just a bit windy during the day and chilly at night. The people are so wonderful and there is Sally! Sally is a dog, a very very sweet dog. At 12:15 last night I passed out, I just barely made it to the new year. I slept for 12 hours. Considering I haven’t slept past 8am since I’ve been here, I was happily surprised that it was noon when I woke up. Then we lazed around all day, I feel like I’m in little America. We watched a compilation of SNL Christmas skits- hilarious! I miss my other stage-mates, who are now spread out all over Niger.

New Years Resolutions:
- Live in a rural Africa village for 2 years
- Ride a camel
-Write everyday
-Not be a hermit in my hut, take the time to greet people

No comments:

Post a Comment